"Ce Matin..." is the name of my Masters Project, a video game to help French-learners practice the skills they have been learning in an effective and entertaining way. I chose this project because of my personal experience learning English through video games and media, and worked with professor Ian Bogost as an advisor. French is my native language, but I get few opportunities to use it while living in the US. I am very passionate about video games and game development, and am interested in the potential of educational and serious games.
I started by researching the various topics that relate to the game I wanted to create. I read research articles on Educational Games, Gamification, and Education on French as a Second Language. I looked at existing language-learning digital products: Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, Memrise, Fight to Learn Japanese, Gamestar Mechanic, babel.com, and the French Alliance website. I also looked at French-learning textbooks and talked with French professors at GA Tech.
The first element I identified at the start of my project was who my target users were. I wanted to speak to native English speakers who had learned French. I chose to look for self-identified intermediate French speakers to interview, and found 10 French speakers with whom conducted hour-long semi-structured interviews to research the viability of my idea.
I ended up realizing that what I identified as intermediate speakers were more advanced than I expected, and wouldn't generally have much use for such a targeted experience as they were able to consume content meant for native French speakers, and that was the best practice they could have. Instead, I chose to refocus my prototype to beginner French speakers, and ended up researching the vocabulary and topics that are first covered across different learning platforms.
These topics ended up being the base for the narrative of my educational game, as I realized that they were fairly uniform across platforms. The verbs and grammar rules were also generally taught in a similar order. I ended up coming up with a list of guidelines to follow when constructing my experience.
First Prototype and Early Testing
I put together an initial prototype using RPG Maker's default assets and putting in only the most basic elements of my game, including all mandatory dialogue. I then had two users test it, and observed what worked and what didn't in my experience. I noticed that some of my vocabulary was much too complex, and that although I tried to use simple tenses within my experience, a lot of seemingly simple sentences were a lot more complex than I realized. I combed through the dialogue in detail after this to ensure no complex dialogue was left.
Overall, the experience seemed to be very successful though, as the vocabulary matched what my users had learnt so far well and they recognized a lot of the words. I edited the flow of the experience after testing and finalized the separate elements that made up the game.
I finished my prototype and ran user testing sessions to test it's validity. Through word-of-mouth, I recruited users and ran user testing sessions with 5 different users. Again, I looked for people who were learning or had learnt French in the past, who identified as beginners this time. I decided to run a pre-test/post-test comparison. I also wanted to collect qualitative data through semi-structured interviews.
RELEVANT FINDINGS FROM TESTING
Definite Improvement between pre-test and post-test. Long term retention test lacked participation.
My target audience was too broad. The vocabulary was perfect for some users (3/5), while others struggled or found it too easy(2/5).
"I don't know what's going on. I'm frustrated."
"I wish there were more words in the vocabulary list."
Users enjoyed the Experience. 2/5 of users would play multiple times unprompted, 5/5 were interested in similar experiences, and 5/5 would recommend it to other French Learners.
The dictionary was used frequently and consistently. However, the current implementation wasn't very usable.
"I'm having trouble finding specific words."
Narrative choices were engaging, but they weren't meaningful enough. Users wanted to see more variation in scenarios to be encouraged to go through the scenario multiple times, experiencing more repetition and helping the vocabulary stick.
"I can easily see myself playing this various times to see how it changes."
"I wish things changed more."
Next Steps, if Continued
Think further on digital implementation of the dictionary, potentially 1 vocabulary list per room
Look into branching scenarios based on choices, rather than minor changes
Focus on a more specific segment (most likely self-taught French learners who use digital software for learning)
Re-desing the experience to be more targeted
Further test the learning effectiveness of my solution with a more specific audience (potentially using a pre-test)